Brussels airport has a green go ahead to partially restart its passenger flights service from the Belgian Civil Aviation Authority and their fire services after its closure following the March 22 suicide bomb attacks. The attack killed 35 people and wounded several others.
“The airport is technically ready for a restart of passenger flights in the temporary infrastructure foreseen for check-in,” the Brussels Airport Company said in a statement. The authorities have been examining the airport after the attack to see if the airport departure hall was ready to provide its service which was badly damaged by two deadly blasts.
At the current situation the airport departure hall area could handle 800 departing passengers per hour, around 20% of the normal volume. In order to smoothen departure and check-ins, all staffs underwent different staged drills earlier this week. Additional security measures are placed to insure additional safety.
“The final step for the restart is awaiting the formal political approval. In the meantime, it has been decided that there will be no passenger flights until Friday evening,” the statement said.
Photo Credit: Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni